Frequently Asked Questions
Where does Page Ahead get its books?
- Books are generated from donations made to Page Ahead through book drives. All of the books that we distribute are new.
Book Up Summer (BUS) FAQ
How can I get BUS for my classroom?
- Page Ahead will work with school districts to determine potential school partners. Eligible schools will have at a majority of their students enrolled in free and reduced price lunch programs. Our goal is to serve all eligible schools as soon as possible.
Is there a cost to participate in BUS?
- Schools or their districts pay a nominal fee per participating K-2 child, with each child receiving 12 brand new self-selected books.
How can my school district become a Page Ahead partner?
- Participation in the program will be based on the number of students in free and reduced price lunch programs, as well as the reading level of the students Participation is by invitation only, and Page Ahead will be working with school districts to determine appropriate school partners.
What books do the students choose from?
- Book Up Summer gives students in kindergarten through second grade their choice of summer reading material. At Scholastic book fairs, students shop for their own books making their own choices from a wide variety of fun, fiction, nonfiction, series, science related and kid-culture books. There is something to interest even the most reluctant reader!
Can I sponsor a specific school?
- The BUS program serves school districts, rather than specific schools. However, if your are interested in sponsoring a school within a district Page Ahead is serving, the answer to this question is “Yes, absolutely.”
Does BUS need volunteers?
- Yes! BUS schools need volunteers to help at their book fairs. If you would like to volunteer please contact Page Ahead and we will point you in the direction of a BUS school in your area.
What grades/ages does BUS serve?
- Children in grades K-2 are eligible to participate in the BUS program.
Can I still get the Books for Kids program?
- While the 2013-2014 school year will be our final year of Books for Kids, we know that BUS has the potential to make an even greater impact on student success.
What are some other sources for books for my students?
- Possible other sources of books include:
Contact us if you have questions regarding Book Up Summer or how to participate in our Family Involvement Programs.